This Better By Design activity also includes:
Which modification is the best? Using the scientific method, pairs determine the effects of each control surface on the distance of a glider's flight. The activity, section 16 in a 22-part unit on aviation, allows pupils to gain a better understanding of how to control an airplane.
- Review the steps of the scientific method with the class
- Use the activity in conjunction with the lesson "Airplane Tails and Wings: Are You in Control?"
- Assumes individuals are familiar with the control surfaces of an airplane
- Contains ideas for extensions that add more mathematics to the lesson
- Includes a data collection sheet with instructions on how to perform the necessary calculations