This Benjamin Franklin, Elder Statesman lesson plan also includes:
Ben Franklin was the only American to sign The Declaration of Independence, the Treaty of Alliance with France, the Treaty of Paris, and the US Constitution. An interesting resource explores his role in the latter by comparing the US Constitution to the Albany Plan of Union, which Franklin had proposed prior to the French and Indian War in 1754. Incorporating primary source materials, classroom discussion suggestions, and a writing prompt, the lesson highlights the contributions of a great American leader while helping scholars enhance a number of essential skills.
- Assign as a group writing exercise following an instructor-guided presentation
- The class should be familiar with the French and Indian War and the American Revolution prior to beginning the activity
- Does not provide all materials, but all are available online with some research
- Part of a longer series
- Provides useful directions for guiding students through the activity
- Includes several questions to spark class discussion