This Balloon Astronaut lesson plan also includes:
- Join to access all included materials
Design protection from high-speed particles. The STEM lesson plan highlights why astronauts need protection from space debris. Pupils use the design process to design, build, and test a spacesuit that will protect a balloon from a falling nail. At the end of the lesson, participants present their designs and reflect on their strategies and the science behind them.
- Demonstrate how a small object can cause damage by quickly puncturing a potato with a straw
- Develop a rubric with the class to rate the protection
- Wear safety goggles while testing
- Includes possible resources to hook the class
- Contains extensions to bring in more advanced science concepts