Determine the location of a point on a moving wheel. The task challenges groups to determine the horizontal and vertical locations of a point on the edge of wheel that is moving. Teams first determine a function that will model the horizontal location in terms of time and graph it. They use some of the information gained to then determine the vertical location in terms of time.
- Bring in a wheel similar to the one in the problem to let groups observe the situation
- Class members should be comfortable creating trigonometric equations from periodic situations
- It is helpful if the class understands how to combine functions
- The commentary breaks down each portion of the task into its components
- Includes a diagram to illustrate the task