This Artificial Lung and Diaphragm lesson plan also includes:
She had a terribly busy day converting oxygen into carbon dioxide; now she just needs a moment to breathe. In the activity, scholars review the function of the respiratory system and discuss bioengineering's role in medicine/health and well being. Groups of learners design a best-fit model of an artificial lung and diaphragm, testing for its ability to work and its capacity.
- Activity best fits after teaching respiratory system or body systems
- Materials include various lengths of tube per group; rest of the materials can be found in the classroom or at home
- Activity is best for higher-level middle school learners and high school students
- Activity provides opening and concluding questions to facilitate class discussion
- The instructor preparation guide reviews the respiratory system and lung diseases
- Includes student handouts and keys