This Area and Perimeter of Trapezoids: Lesson instructional video also includes:
With a little averaging, a trapezoid becomes a parallelogram. The section of an extensive geometry playlist shows how to derive the formula for the area of a trapezoid by changing it into a parallelogram. Using the formula, the video provides examples of finding the area of given trapezoids.
- Lead a discussion on how the area formula also comes from the sum of the areas of two triangles formed by a diagonal
- Assumes knowledge of isosceles right triangles
- It is beneficial to understand the different ways to express dividing by two
- Contains a link to additional videos and practice problems
- Shows all of the arithmetic steps involved in working the examples