This Applying Newton’s Laws handout also includes:
Newton's Laws get the rocket to work, but do they serve any other functions? A six-page resource classifies rockets by the type of propellant they use. It then describes applications of Newton's Laws of Motion, both in the ability to produce thrust and the needed forces to control the rocket's flight. The article finishes with a short look into potential types of rockets for future space travel.
- Have teams research suggested propulsion systems and report back to the class
- Research historical rockets and have the class calculate the mass fraction for each
- There is a lot of reading
- Identifies Newton's Laws while explaining their application, increasing pupils' understanding
- Diagrams help with the visualization of some of the concepts