This Animals' Needs lesson plan also includes:
Explore the wonderful world of earthworms as your class learns about the requirements of animal life. After building soda bottle terrariums, students observe worms over the course of a couple weeks, building an understanding that all animals need food and water to survive. Consider swapping out the worms for a different animal to make for more meaningful and interesting observations. The lesson does require a fair amount of preparation, so be sure to plan ahead.
- Earthworm experiment engages children in learning about animal life
- The needs of animals are clearly demonstrated by comparing a living earthworm to a gummy worm
- Includes an activity that outlines the step-by-step instructions for building a terrarium
- Building the terrariums requires numerous materials not typically found in a classroom
- Requires explicit instruction regarding how earthworms acquire the air they need to survive