This Analyzing How Words Communicate Bias lesson plan also includes:
Words are powerful ... can your class choose them wisely? Scholars evaluate news articles to discover the concepts of tone, charge, and bias during a media literacy lesson. The resource focuses on recognizing implicit information and determining a method for analyzing the reliability of online sources.
- Ask the class to locate an additional article about the topic they studied with a different tone
- Have individuals present their charged news stories with the class as an alternative assessment method
- Make two half-class sets of articles for the activity, as pupils need to read two articles on the same topic with different tones
- The lesson is an excellent way to introduce middle school pupils to the concept of media bias and digital literacy
- Includes all of the printable resources, aside from news articles