Introduce your class to the ideas of W.E.B. Du Bois with a short video that presents the key ideas in the essays collected in The Souls of Black Folk. Published in 1903, it details the early civil rights leader's ideas about the ways materialism contributed to racism and how racism influences black identify.
- Have groups investigate the controversies surrounding Du Bois
- Use Pat Mora's poem "Sonrisas" to introduce the concept of split identity
- Comment section contains comments that may be inappropriate for classroom viewing
- As the title suggests, the video is a introduction to a longer analysis that can be found on the publisher's website, and is available for purchase and/or with a free trial membership
- Du Bois' ideas for how to lift the veil are clearly illustrated by the scenario of Sasha