Do traditional customs of Islam contradict western feminism? Explore this and more using a video summary of Saba Mahmood's Politics of Piety, part of an extensive playlist about the world's greatest ideas. It addresses a common misconception western feminists have about Muslim women and breaks down key elements of gender equality and feminism through images and accessible language.
- Research why women in the Arab world choose to cover their faces and what, if any consequences, exist for women who do not
- Role play a scenario similar to the scenario presented in the video to improve understanding
- Requires an understanding of basic female customs in the Arab world
- Uses analogies to help illustrate Mahmood's main argument
- Makes connections among differing points of view
- Pop-up bars distract from the content in the video