Is the War on Drugs responsible for the inordinate number of black Americans sent to prison for non-violent drug offensives? That's MIchelle Alexander's contention in her book, The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness. Introduce class members to Alexander with Macat's brief analysis of her work.
- Have groups research and collect statistics that support or challenge Alexander's premise
- Review the Jim Crow laws before showing the video
- Make sure that viewers understand that the military example is hypotheical and not in fact true of the military
- From a longer playlist about the greatest ideas in history
- This video is hosted on YouTube
- The lack of statistics in the video encourages viewers to research and find data that either supports or challenges Alexander's thesis
- No statistics are provided