Does a nation define a culture or members of a single political unit? A video summary of Ernst Gellner's Nations and Nationalism, part of a larger playlist about the world's greatest ideas, shares Gellner's definitions of nations and nationalism. The video highlights key points from the text and uses simple images to illustrate those points.
- Talk about what nationalism would look like in a country such as the United States and its pros and cons
- Compare a modern nation-state to a state comprised of multiple nations
- Requires a basic understanding of industrialization
- Features clear, well-paced narration that makes it easy for listeners to follow
- Uses an analogy to help make Gellner's theory more accessible to modern viewers
- Contains ads and pop-up text boxes that distract from content of video