This Amusement Park Ride: The Ups and Downs in Design activity & project also includes:
Groups design the ultimate roller coaster by considering potential and kinetic energy. They test their designs using marbles and then go on to rate each group's design based on aesthetics, loop diameter, and cost.
52 Views 43 Downloads CCSS: Designed NGSS: Designed
- If possible, take the class to an amusement park to investigate roller coasters and other rides
- Team up with a physics instructor for the activity
- Activity requires materials such as foam tubing, marbles, and toothpicks
- Includes several extension ideas
- Provides assessment options at various points of the activity