How do organisms end up with such a wide variety of traits? It's in their genes! Kick off your inherited traits lesson using a brief video that covers alleles and genes. The narrator describes heterozygous and homozygous genotypes, how genetic information passes from parents to offspring, and dominant versus recessive traits.
- Purchase some PTC paper and host a paper-tasting activity to extend the lesson
- Create small groups and have them research a specific trait, such as tongue-rolling or detached earlobes
- The resource begins to touch on Punnett squares and Mendelian genetics, so plan to follow up on these after the class has a good grasp on alleles and genes
- The video is very engaging and interesting for all audiences
- Cute animated characters help convey genotypes and phenotypes