This A Time Capsule of a Lost Early California Lifestyle lesson plan also includes:
After viewing The Last Roundup, a documentary that examines the transitioning of Santa Rosa from a privately owned island to a National Park, class members adopt the point of view of Tim Vail, a member of the family that once owned the island, or of a National Park ranger, and craft a diary entry that reveals their feelings about their life on the island.
- Begin the unit by showing the West of the West, Tales from California's Channel Islands trailer that provides the context for the series
- Learners should have previously studied narrative writing
- Assumes class members have viewed The Last Roundup
- The two-page packet includes a viewing guide, discussion questions, a vocabulary list, and the writing prompt
- The discussion questions do not adequately scaffold for the diary entry assignment
- No rubric is included