This A Collapsing City Skyline lesson plan also includes:
Have your high schoolers learn about the modern history of Myanmar by close-reading an article about the city and people of the city Yangon. As they'll learn, the country is going through some dramatic transitions. After reading the article for homework, discussion questions and writing prompts help them dive deeper into the topic.
- In addition to the article, have your scholars look at the photo essay by the author of the article (linked at the bottom of the lesson plan)
- If you have the technology, have learners explore Yangon from Google maps or Google earth and try to find some of the sites mentioned in the article or photo essay
- Use this activity as an opening to explore other issues that confront Myanmar and its new government. Search the New York Times website for "Myanmar" for some starting points)
- Be sure your readers have the article in front of them while discussing so that they can reference the text while responding to questions
- The plan is simple in its presentation and execution
- The prompts help learners make the most of a beautifully written anchor text