This 14th Amendment Discussion Starter: The Emancipation Proclamation instructional video also includes:
In 1863 life forever changed for African American slaves when the Emancipation Proclamation was announced. An interesting video clip shows two actors reading excerpts from the Emancipation Proclamation and a letter by a slave named Annie Davis. Scholars also participate in a group discussion relating to the video to deepen their understanding of the terms of the Emancipation Proclamation.
- Have pupils take turns reading aloud the remaining text of the Emancipation Proclamation
- Share newspaper articles from the time period that discuss the Emancipation Proclamation
- Video is part of the Constitutional Hall Pass Series
- Contains sensitive material about slavery
- Video uses theatrical performances to make content more engaging for learners
- Includes additional primary sources to enhance learning