This Writing Task 6.EE.4 assessment also includes:
- Join to access all included materials
Assess the mathematical reasoning of young learners with this quick writing exercise. Presented with with two algebraic expressions, young mathematicians must explain whether or not they are equivalent using their understanding of the relationship between repeated addition and multiplication.
- Implement this exercise as an in-class assignment during a pre-algebra lesson on combining like terms, allowing students to share and discuss their answers in small groups or as a whole class
- Use this resource as a short formative assessment during a lesson series on equivalent expressions
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- Document is formatted to include two writing exercises on a single page
- Resource is downloadable as a Word document that can be edited