This Whole Language Reading: Pumpkin Pie Baking Activity lesson plan also includes:
Fill your classroom with the delicious aroma of freshly baked pumpkin pie using this fun language arts lesson. Beginning with a class reading of the book Big Pumpkin by Erica Silverman, learners practice identifying rhyming words, making predictions, and answering questions to demonstrate their comprehension of the story. For the the grand finale, the class works together to make pumpkin pie, carefully following the provided recipe to measure out the ingredients they need. If an oven is not available, bake the pies at home and bring them in the following day to share with the class. This engaging lesson would make an excellent addition to the Halloween celebrations in primary grade classes.
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- Includes a list of comprehension questions for supporting a discussion about the book
- Baking activity allows for cross-curricular connections between language arts and math
- A copy of the children's book Big Pumpkin by Erica Silverman is required for the lesson
- Baking materials, ingredients, and an oven are required for making pumpkin pies