This Who Gets to Say What I Need to Know? unit also includes:
Who decides what pupils learn in schools? Young scholars may be surprised to hear that there is no national standard for what is taught. A resource investigates this question using case studies, debate, discussion questions, and writing activities.
- Use jigsaw activity to discuss the varying points of view in the Scopes Monkey Trial and apply them to modern debates about school standards
- Activities are second in the six-part Complex Questions Related to American Democracy series
- Discussion of hot-button topics, such as sex education, may make the resource inappropriate for some learners
- Resource offers materials such as a glossary to aid in scaffolding
- Extension activities, including an essay prompt, integrate skills practice