This What Is Freedom? activity & project also includes:
What is freedom, and why is it so important to Americans? Using a graphic organizer, scholars make connections between the United States Bill of Rights and a speech about freedom by Franklin D. Roosevelt. As a culminating activity, learners engage in a Socratic seminar to discuss the concept of freedom in America.
- Before the lesson, write the word freedom on the board and invite pupils to share associated thoughts, images, and ideas
- Pair struggling readers with a reading partner
- Reading selections have text complexity levels ranging from complex to very complex
- Includes helpful teacher-to-teacher notes and tips
- Integrates history, reading comprehension, and critical thinking