What is a hero? Find out with a lesson plan that highlights the heroes that risked their lives on September 11, 2001. Class members take part in a grand conversation discussing what heroes are, how we celebrate them, and write a letter to a chosen hero that fits the description. To thank our heroes, learners create a memorial that honors the heroes presented in a read-aloud about the fall of the Twin Towers.
- Invite a local hero to speak to the class about their experience
- Encourage learners to share their letters and responses if they receive one
- Visit the school library to search books about heroes and September 11th that pupils can browse when time permits
- Collect materials and acquire a copy of September 11 (We the People) by Mary Englar prior to implementing the lesson
- Provides additional lessons to extend the learning experience
- The lesson plan has a clear organizational pattern and is written in detail