This Westward Expansion in the Garden activity also includes:
- Informational Text
- Join to access all included materials
What an exceptional hands-on experience for learning about the period of Westward Expansion in the United States! Learners are divided into groups and embark on one of three "trails" to learn about the challenges early pioneers experienced in geography, climate, and acquiring supplies for their journey to the West.
- Design a graphic organizer, such as guided notes, that learners can complete while participating in the activity. Alternatively, propose a writing assessment at the beginning of the activity that will require learners to take detailed notes as they progress through the activity
- Will require some preparation of materials for the activity, but they should be easy to attain and are well worth the effort!
- Activity is meant to culminate in a cooking activity, where learners make bean chili and write ghost stories according to what they learned from the lesson
- Instructional cards for each trail are included
- Instructional cards have informational text and a complementary experiential activity
- Well-organized resource