This Washington Monument assessment also includes:
Look up, up, up to the top. Using their knowledge of trigonometric ratios, pupils determine the angle of elevation in a real-world situation. Learners calculate the angle of elevation from the base of the flags around the Washington Monument to the top.
- Use the same process to find the angle of elevation 100 feet from the highest building in your city
- Lead a discussion on whether the angle calculated is completely accurate for a person standing next to a flag
- The class should have a working knowledge of the trigonometric ratios
- Provides examples of work illustrating misconceptions
- Contains questions to ask individuals about their thought processes