Harriet Beecher Stowe's novel Uncle Tom's Cabin is rich with historical elements, figurative language, compelling characters, and a devastating plot. Guide readers through the novel with a series of activities designed to activate critical thinking and literary analysis skills, as well as text-to-text and text-to-self connections.
- Choose a few of the activities as options for class members to complete instead of book reports
- Connect with a social studies class during a Civil War unit to provide historical context and prior knowledge
- Each activity title expands into a longer explanation, but does not provide any worksheets or additional materials
- Addresses an array of language arts skills, including speaking and listening, vocabulary, research, literary analysis, and narrative writing
- Many activities are short and easy to implement before, during, or after reading the novel