Beloved is Toni Morrison's powerful and tragic retelling of the life of Margaret Garner. A short video from PBS details why Toni Morrison and composer Richard Danielpour chose opera, an extreme art form, to mirror the extremes of slavery that motivate the actions of Seethe, the character based on Garner.
- Have class members research the life of Margaret Garner, whose life inspired Toni Morrison's Beloved
- Use the video after readers have finished the novel
- One of five PBS resources devoted to Toni Morrison's Beloved
- Presumes viewers are familiar with opera protocols, including the role of the chorus and arias
- Interviews with Morrison, Danielpour, and the actors and director give depth to the video