This To Vote or Not to Vote lesson plan also includes:
Voting can be easy, voting can be hard, voting is just a very important job for all citizens. A four-day plan has class members investigating why voting is so important, why the Voting rights Act of 1965 was necessary, and current attempts to restrict voting. The plan is richly detailed and carefully scaffolded.
- Assign groups to investigate voting restrictions in their state and the arguments for and against these restrictions
- Have class members create PSAs that target specific groups and that encourage them to vote
- Pupils should have access to computers with internet access
- Requires considerable prep time to access videos and print copies of worksheets
- Encourages researchers to find arguments for and against the various obstacles to voting
- Discussion questions and activities are included for each film