This Thermal Energy activity & project also includes:
Is it possible to blow up a balloon without touching it? By placing a cold bottle and balloon system into hot water, groups demonstrate how thermal energy causes gas expansion. Scholars place the bottle in cold water and reverse the process, using their observations to devise a closed system that will lift a small rock using thermal energy. Applying their gained knowledge, classmates brainstorm additional experiments on thermal energy by altering variables.
- Research how thermal energy is used to power day-to-day activities
- Requires close access to a freezer to prep the materials
- Knowledge of a closed system is beneficial
- Includes a scientific explanation of what is happening in the demonstration
- Contains a outline with times for the different aspects of the activity