This Their Eyes Were Watching God: Biography lesson plan also includes:
Introduce your unit on Their Eyes Were Watching God with a biography lesson about the author, Zora Neale Hurston. A 16-minute audio track depicts Hurston's contribution to both the literary world and to the Harlem Renaissance, and features several speakers. They create a presentation based on this information, and on what they read from three essays (all attached). Bringing prior knowledge to the unit, kids write about a moment or event that changed the way they see the world, and then read Chapter 1 of the book.
- Use the materials in a unit on Their Eyes Were Watching God, or in a shorter lesson about the writing process or authors of the Harlem Renaissance
- Have kids create a comic strip with illustrations instead of writing an essay about their experience
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- All auxiliary files are attached in a zip file
- Speakers include authors Alice Walker, Bret Lott, and Jerry Pinkney, professors Azar Nafisi and Carla Kaplan, and actress Ruby Dee