How is the Constitution related to Earth Day? While the connection may not be apparent to all pupils, our Founding Fathers dealt with environmental issues such as pollution and disease, leading to public efforts to clean up the water in Philadelphia. Fast forward to today, and modern activists continue the legacy with popular movements like Earth Day. A video resource traces the connections between the nation's founding and our current environmental movement.
- Have learners discuss connections between environmental stewardship and citizenship
- Use the video to research the history of civic holidays in the United States
- Although the video was created with Earth Day in mind, the resource is adaptable to any lesson on the history of the environmental movement
- Preview and post-viewing questions make the resource easy to use in class
- Resource offers a broad view of environmentalism in the United States without a presumption of background information
- Sound quality and volume varies