This The Sandlot video also includes:
What's it like to be the new kid in town? A short activity, 15th in a series of 17 character-building lessons, focuses on the challenges new pupils face. After viewing a clip from the film The Sandlot, discussion groups talk about ways to prevent bullying, especially of new classmates.
- Before breaking into groups, have learners that have moved share their experiences with the class
- Adding your own personal new kid story is a great way to build stronger relationships with your students
- Read a bit of the introductory materials to the class, so they understand the main character's situation before they watch the clip
- Group planning activity at the end of the lesson is very meaningful for raising awareness of this type of bullying
- Questions focus on the emotional component of trying to fit in when you are new, making the lesson more impactful