This The Lowdown — How Much Does It Really Cost to Raise a Child? article also includes:
That's a lot of money! Using information from 2012, a presentation shows how much it will cost to raise a child to the age of 18. As part of the Math at the Core: Ratios series, an interactive allows classmates to explore the percentages of the different expense categories. The handout guides the exploration of the infographic and requires pupils to solve percent problems.
- Compare current cost estimates to those on the infographic
- Each small group needs access to the interactive
- Individuals should know how to calculate with percents
- Includes time suggestions for parts of the activity
- Contains learning outcomes to gauge understanding