This The Joy Luck Club: Themes of the Novel lesson plan also includes:
Discuss two possible themes from Amy Tan's The Joy Luck Club in the ninth of ten lessons in a novel unit. Having finished the book, readers engage in a discussion about the themes of fate, memory, and transformation, and answer questions about different characters and their experiences through the lens of each theme. Then, they start an essay based on the topics found in the reader guide, which is attached to the resource.
- Discussion from this lesson could be a good brainstorm for a final essay if you decided not to use the attached essay topics
- A good way to discuss theme and tie it into the novel, as well as to analyze different events a second time
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- Includes the essay topics within the reader guide, as well as in an attached zip file
- Models good, thorough reading comprehension and analysis