This The Journey to Revolution: Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death lesson plan also includes:
The words of "Common Sense" and Patrick Henry's "Give me liberty or give me death!" speech ring throughout history. Using excerpts from the famous pamphlet and speech, as well as a recorded reenactment of Henry's impassioned delivery, scholars explore the nuances of each patriot's argument. Activities include graphic organizers and an exercise that allows for a variety of options including writing and creating an illustration.
- Have class members work together to create a T-chart graphic organizer comparing "Common Sense" and Patrick Henry's most famous speech
- Create a RAFT writing assignment to reflect on the message of each primary source
- Learners need some background on the events leading up to the American Revolution to understand the lesson
- Graphic organizers scaffold primary source analysis
- Primary sources are curated with vocabulary support