The geopolitical history of Palestine is fraught with conflict. To provide a perspective of ongoing conflicts, a presentation traces the historical background of the region from the fall of the Ottoman Empire after World War I to the ceasefires of 2008. The slides present the Israeli and Palestinian perspectives of their claims to the land, their various peace efforts, and the current issues the two face.
- Have groups research current events related to the continuing conflict and present multiple perspectives of their findings
- A protocol must be in place for a safe, respectful discussion of controversial issues
- Assumes class members have studied the historical background of the conflict, including the British Mandate, the Balfour Declaration, and the 1947 UN partition of the country. If not, assign these topics to groups to research in greater detail
- The side-by-side format permits viewers to compare and contrast the differing perspectives
- The reflections ask writers to make personal connections to both the Israeli and Palestinian points of view