This The Impact of First Impressions and Friendship lesson plan also includes:
Are first impressions as important as they seem? A lesson on the literary themes of Freak the Mighty by Rodman Philbrick prompts readers to compare their friendship experiences with those from the book, and to determine whether or not to trust their first impressions of a potential friend.
- Inspire class members to keep a friendship journal throughout the year about the best attributes of a friend, and how they could potentially be a better friend
- Connect Freak the Mighty to other elementary books about unconventional friendships, such as James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl or Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson
- Lesson is designed for implementation before a unit on Freak the Mighty
- Video requires access to the Internet
- Connects both literary analysis and social and emotional learning skills
- Applies a text-to-self perspective before reading the novel