Creating poetry can be a beautiful way to explore the imagery and themes of literature. Using The Giver by Lois Lowry, kids take turns listing words that they associate with the novel, culminating in a circle poem that addresses the details and lasting images of the book.
- Have small groups do the activity and come up with their own poems to share with the class
- Use the poem format with any piece of literature, or as a getting-to-know-you activity
- Both instructions for the activity and assessment instructions are vague; augment the lesson with your own assessment if needed
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- Creative and interesting for kids who might not enjoy writing essays