This Teaching Guide: Exploring Beloved lesson plan also includes:
Toni Morrison's powerful and painful Pulitzer Prize winning novel Beloved is not easy to read or easy to teach. Here's a teaching guide, loaded with primary source materials, that gives readers the background they need to understand the dilemma Sethe faces and the terrible choice she makes.
- Present the Medea materials before reading part one of the novel
- Ask readers to bookmark passages they find confusing or troubling to bring to small group or full class discussions
- Requires individual copies of Toni Morrison's Beloved
- Presumes class members have previously studied the Underground Railroad and the Fugitive Slave Act
- Primary sources provide background information about Martha Browne Griffin
- Includes discussion questions, activities, and links to additional resources