This Symbols of Democracy lesson plan also includes:
Middle schoolers investigate the two major US political parties, their symbols, their history, and their leaders. The project begins with group readings of several articles, progresses to researching a particular party or important person, and culminates with a presentation of findings.
- During an election year, have one group identify candidates for other parties and create posters or short presentations for them
- Although designed for middle school classes, the lesson, with some modification, is appropriate for high school classes as well
- The readings are complex; some class members may need extra scaffolding to comprehend the text
- Comes with a reminder that this is a research project and not a discussion of personal political beliefs
- Links are provided to the background articles
- An exit ticket asks class members to decide whether party affiliation really matters