There's no place readers must decode more unfamiliar words than on a standardized test. Still, word analysis skills come into play every day. A workbook combines test prep with different strategies to help determine the meaning of unfamiliar words, including recognizing signal words and context clues, creating word associations, and deconstructing words. The resource includes a variety of activities ranging from traditional multiple-choice questions to a word Jeopardy! game.
- Find an excerpt from a text with a lot of unfamiliar words and use one of the strategies mentioned to decode those words
- Challenge scholars to come up with their own sample questions for their peers to answer
- Published in 2006, the resource may not reflect recent changes to the CAHSEE
- Includes charts for common prefixes, suffixes, word roots, and signal words
- Gives multiple examples of each strategy discussed
- Features CAHSEE branding on each page which is off-putting if not using for CAHSEE prep
- Some pages appear disorganized and too busy with oddly placed graphics