This Solving Problems by Creating Expressions—Dollar Bills activity & project also includes:
Uncover methods of writing algebraic expressions by listening to your classes. Given a set of information, learners work in groups to provide a solution. It is possible to find a solution using a linear algebraic expression, but the lesson encourages multiple solution strategies.
- Provide lower level pupils with fake money to use as a manipulative
- Circulate during collaborative work and make note of interesting conversations to share with the whole group
- Requires the ability to write algebraic expressions from context
- Teachers can edit the task to adapt to different classes
- Provides teaching resources to help plan the lesson