This Shop Smart lesson plan also includes:
What is a better deal?
- Buy one, get one half off
- Buy three for the cost of two
- Buy one at 40% off the original price
Mathematicians use algebraic expressions to sort through the scenarios and figure out who benefits most: business owner or customer. Consider attaching prices to a box or two as a visual display, and have the class compute the sales for each item priced.
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- The practical application of algebraic concepts can save learners money in the future
- Two different strategies are offered in the solution section of the teacher's guide
- Simple, focused task addresses Common Core State Standards for seventh grade math
- With the included worksheet, you could possibly use this task as an assessment