This Senior Meal Share activity & project also includes:
Senior citizens are among the growing population of Americans facing food insecurity. Middle and high schoolers work on a service learning project focused on a senior meal share, inviting seniors in their community to join them for a healthy meal and friendly companionship.
- Consider bringing meals to homebound seniors if they are unable to attend an event, or bringing the event to a local retirement community
- Set up a pen pal program between students and seniors in the community before hosting the event
- Create an interdisciplinary project between social studies, health, and culinary arts when discussing societal hunger and/or nutritional eating
- The first step may require days or even weeks of research before embarking on the rest of the project
- Emphasizes the importance of community involvement and service projects
- Connects learners with the needs of seniors in their neighborhood