This Ruby Bridges: A Simple Act of Courage, Grades 6-8 lesson plan also includes:
Designed for a plethora of Common Core standards, your young historians will learn about the story of Ruby Bridges and the civil rights movement through expository and persuasive writing activities, as well as by viewing and analyzing an engaging slide show of historical photographs.
- Consider following up the slide show with a more detailed informational text, video clip, or direct instruction on the historical background of the civil rights movement
- This is an excellent resource for Black History Month or in observation of Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- Part of these lessons requires use of the text entitled Through My Eyes by Ruby Bridges. This will need to be purchased, or you may also be able to locate excerpts online
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- Includes excellent vocabulary carousel activity, with all necessary materials
- Applicable to multiple Common Core standards