This Real-Life Math | Dentist video also includes:
Do dentists dread going to the dentist? At least they're not afraid of math. Pupils watch a short video in which a dentist describes the math involved in a dentistry practice, such as measuring teeth to fit a crown. They then participate in an activity where they measure heights and arm spans to identify their perfect bikes.
- Have the class conduct a web search to find formulas dentists use
- Learners should be familiar with unit conversions and ratios
- Activity requires tape measures with inches only
- Highlights how concepts in math class connect to the real world
- Provides handouts to use during the activity
- Associated activity (finding the right bicycle) is somewhat unrelated to the idea of dentists