This Ralph Waldo Emerson and “Self-Reliance” lesson plan also includes:
- Lesson Plan
- Join to access all included materials
"Trust thyself: every heart vibrates to that iron string." After reading Ralph Waldo Emerson’s "Self-Reliance" groups discuss and then individuals reflect on the advantages and disadvantages of being self-reliant. Included in the packet is a worksheet that helps groups identify the main ideas in each paragraph.
- The worksheet focuses attention on the ideas in each paragraph of the essay
- Emerson's essay is not included in the resource; however, it is easily accessed on the Internet
- The lesson assumes that class members recognize and understand key elements of transcendental philosophy
- Additional scaffolding would be required from individuals to make the connection between using the worksheet to identify the main ideas in each paragraph and understanding the ideas in each paragraph