This Quilting with My Pal, Pythagoras! lesson plan also includes:
- Join to access all included materials
Learners discover the Pythagorean Theorem as they work together to create a class quilt. After reviewing tips to explain the theorem, kids participate in a scavenger hunt for right angles. Display the "Shoo Fly" quilt design, which includes many right angles. Learners use the paper as a pattern, cutting out the fabric pieces and calculating the area of each.
- Use the steps to demonstrate the quilt square pattern to mathematicians before they create one of their own on paper
- Encourage collaboration once all squares are finished by challenging the class to lay out their pieces and come up with a design for the quilt
- Work with a math class to make the assignment cross-curricular
- Learners only extend their designs to paper, but you could extend the activity for a full quilting project