This Periodic Shuffle lesson plan also includes:
No matter how you shuffle the elements, their electron configurations keep them in the same order. How can that be? Introduce the concept of periodicity through a instructional activity that combines inquiry, discussion, and comparison. Partners collaborate to puzzle through the similarities and difference in the chemical elements that are controlled by their electron configurations.
- Provide plenty of options for customizing the group-created periodic tables, such as markers, colored pencils, and crayons
- If groups are struggling to get their tables organized, use the helpful suggestions in the plan to give them the right amount of guidance
- Schedule the activity after pupils have mastered electron configurations
- Create groups of no more than three students
- Teacher's guide contains instructions for modifying the lesson based on your class' abilities
- The lesson gives students a solid foundation on which to build more understanding of periodicity