This Pentagon's Perimeter assessment also includes:
Show your class how to use the distance formula to find the perimeter. Using a pentagon on a coordinate plane, pupils calculate the perimeter. They use the coordinates of the vertices of the pentagon to determine the length of sides. Two sides are horizontal or vertical while the other three require using the distance formula.
- Lead a brainstorming session on ways to remember the distance formula by making connections to the Pythagorean Theorem
- The class should know how to find distances using the distance formula
- Individuals need to be comfortable working with sums of irrational and rational numbers
- Includes descriptions of common misconceptions
- Provides the solution in an exact form and a decimal approximation